Life gets busy sometimes and I made every excuse in the book to push off my training for a 25K I signed up to run. The holidays came and went and I aced my finals, so I honestly should’ve stopped being a bum and hit the pavement and trails to train for the race. But alas, I didn’t get my butt in gear. The most mileage I’ve ever ran is 10 miles (a year ago) and this race would be a little over 16 miles. I had two options: find a lame excuse to get out of it OR run the 16 miles and possibly die. (Okay, I knew I wouldn’t die, but no preparation for something like this is not the best idea.) I hesitantly (I mean VERY hesitantly) decided to go ahead and do the race.
So after running the Bear Bait Ultra 25K and not training a single day, I have compiled my before, during, and after race thoughts.
These are in chronological order starting with my excuses to get out of running this race. Here it goes!
1. Maybe my daughter’s fever won’t break (3 days from now)
2. Did I really just wish for my daughter to be miserable to avoid running?
3. Well, maybe the couple who offered to watch my daughter will rescind their offer?
4. I could say I am sick.
5. Dang it. I’ll just go to the place I’m staying the night before the race and hopefully I’ll sleep through my alarm.
6. Wouldn’t it be just terrible if my car didn’t start? I’d be okay with that.
7. Why did I even sign up? I hate running.
8. I could just not use GPS and not be able to find the running venue.
9. I could pull over and take a nap and claim I got pulled over.
10. This is the dumbest idea I’ve ever gone through with.
11. My cat misses me. I should go home.
12. I haven’t been up this early unless I was binging on Netflix shows all night into the morning.
13. I can walk the whole race and still finish before the 50 mile runners.
14. No, I’ll look like a wimp. I’ll attempt those run/walk intervals I read about.
15. Crap. I just checked in. No turning back.
16. Explosive diarrhea is welcome at anytime to stop this mistake…
17. Not even the nervous poops…I guess I’m fated to run this.
18. Uh oh. People I know just saw me. Can’t back out now.
19. The sunrise looks pretty over the lake. I got this.
20. I am so going to regret this.
21. And we are off. You didn’t train a day for this…Just take it easy.
22. Did that little kid just pass me? Oh hell naw.
23. Eat my dust, little one.
24. Okay, cool your jets. Not even 2 miles in and you’re tired.
25. Seriously, you can’t keep this pace up. Let the old people pass you.
26. Okay time for music. Do I really only have Disney soundtracks downloaded?
27. Moana soundtrack it is.
28. I hope no one can hear this music.
29. Almost done with my first lap. Don’t even think about stopping at the pavilion.
30. Dang. All the cheering gave me a boost.
31. Okay, went too fast again. Don’t try to show off because there are probably people already finished, ya turtle.
32. Wow. This music is inspiring. I think I’m going faster.
33. Resist the urge to flail your arms during the crescendo.
34. Was that bear poop?!
35. Just think, only two more miles until I can poop!
36. Don’t think about it or you’ll be squatting behind the trees.
37. I hear cheering. I must be close to the pavilion again…And bathrooms.
38. Game plan: poop, water, GU, electrolytes, and go!
39. Easy does it. Keep your pace and intervals.
40. Nope. Cramps cramps cramps!
41. Did my toes just curl up on their own?
42. Okay, I’ll just walk until my cramps relax and my toes uncurl.
43. Slow jog. NOPE! There go my toes again.
44. See ya later, lap friend. I cannot make my toes uncurl.
45. Cheering is coming close…I should run to look like a BA coming in.
46. That’s a big NOPE again.
47. Drink 4 cups of electrolytes and I’ll be good. And I’ll pee my pants. Whatever. I already smell.
48. Okay, last lap. I got this.
49. Take a selfie by the lake: check!
50. Just freaking try to finish this dang thing by ANY means necessary.
51. I think my butt is going to rip off.
52. Two thoughts simultaneously: why didn’t I train for this? And more so, why did I sign up for this?!
53. OMG I made it!
54. Dang it. I have no cell service to immediately brag about being alive after this.
55. Do I really have to mom again after this?
56. Eat all the food. Drink all the water.
57. DO NOT EVER RUN AGAIN!
58. I can’t wait for next year’s race!
I highly recommend training/regular exercise before signing up for an endurance event of this caliber. I hope you enjoyed my race thoughts/excuses! Oh, and btw – I did beat that little kid! He was a beast though and it was awesome to see him out there doing the 25K! He’ll probably beat me next year!!
I must say, if you’re close to Milton, FL, and you are a runner, check this race out! The Bear Bait Ultras are well organized, they have awesome race directors and volunteers, and gorgeous views while you are running!