So you’re about to have your baby! You already know the obvious things that need to go to the hospital like swaddling blankets, diapers, an outfit or two, the car seat, and clothes for yourself and partner. What are the little things that might get missed that you will wish you had? Below I’ve created a list of random things I packed just in case and I’m glad I did!
- Snacks – for you or your partner/family that attend the birth (some docs say you can’t eat, but YOU definitely should, especially if you aren’t planning a C-section)
- Lip balm – trust me
- Your own water bottle with a straw, like a big Tervis – you’ll need to stay hydrated and drinking from a straw somehow tricks you into drinking more than a regular bottle opening
- Big comfy robe
- 1-2 warm blankets from home – hospitals are COLD and if you stay overnight, let your partner stay warm too 🙂
- 1-2 pillows – the hospital ones are tiny and flat
- Your own toiletries – some hospitals have them, but you’re better off with your own stuff
- A beach towel or regular towel from home (hospital towels are the size of loincloths)
- Nursing pads just in case your milk comes in quickly (not the whole box, but a couple pairs should do the trick)
- Adult diapers or BIG GIANT pads
- Phone chargers
- Cash for vending machines
- Entertainment – books, magazines, music, iPod, tablet, etc (labor takes awhile sometimes)
I’ll add more if/when I think of them! I HIGHLY suggest creating a checklist and taping it to the door when it’s close to your due date! Have your car seat installed and bags by the door! It will help tremendously when everyone is in a panic to get out the door. We left my wallet with my ID at home and the hospital didn’t even want to give me a room until they could verify that I had insurance. Luckily, a nurse took pity on us while I was having contractions at the L&D front desk and put me a room with more privacy.
You got this, momma! You were made to create and evacuate that adorable baby on the way!